Thursday, May 21, 2009

Awakenings

John Woodbridge gave some lectures on various revivals and awakenings at the recent SMBC preaching conference I attended. I found them fascinating for a number of reasons. Here's a few...

They actually happened. It really gave a good stretch to my gospel horizons to know this and see the impact of these movements of God's Spirit.

They were messy. If you were trying to 'plan' one, the whole thing would probably fall in a heap long before something even got started.

They finished. I was left wondering what that looked like. eg. The 1857-58 revival that impacted the entire USA to some extent... what did 1859 look like?

It was also interesting trying to think of what to take from these lectures for church life. You can't but help start thinking, 'Well that's a good idea, we'll try that' ...and have in your mind that it might just be the key to starting your own 'pet' revival. I guess this brings some of the 'uncategorizable-ness' of these things to the surface... that these are events at God's good pleasure. Questions like 'should we seek and pray for these things?' arise... for example... John Woodbridge I think said that DL Moody spent all of his subsequent ministry looking back to that 1857 event earnestly seeking a similar outpouring! Is that faithful? presumptuous? He didn't 'get one'... but you probably couldn't say that his life didn't count for the gospel could you?

Any way there are a few rambling thoughts I'm just hanging out there...

4 comments:

Astrid said...

I heard from someone else who used to be involved in the AOG movement where there was a very unhealthy need for the full on revival that helped to grow the church which has now undergone a number of leaders and splits.

I wonder then how this all fits into my chrismatic faith where there is a strong emphasis on the pressence of God.

On the other hand I don't think Gods work should be ever be discounted.

Alistair Bain said...

Graham. Great to read this stuff. It very tempting to follow a formula isn't it? Even our having prayer meetings SO THAT God would bring about revival seems a bit manipulative.

Astrid. I'm interested that you say your charismatic faith emphasises the presence of God. My reading of the Bible is very similar. In fact I've come to the tentative conclusion that "presence" is the central motif of God's word. And I'm a good old fashioned boring presbyterian.

Mikey Lynch said...

thanks Graham.

I was struck in similar ways when I read a detailed history of the 18C revivals by Mark Noll. They finish. And things do go back to normal.

It does point out the vanity of striving for a revival - even when it hits, it doesn't last!

Moreover, as you say, you are other longing for one or being nostalgic for a past experience... instead of serving the Lord where you are.

graham said...

thanks guys
Astrid and Al, a dear brother of mine who thinks deeper than i ever will has applied himself a lot to the idea of presence... check out his blog 'in the grip of grace', it's on the right there...

Mikey, I think that's basically where i'm at ...except to note that these 'awakenings' do serve to broaden our gospel horizons re things like Vision 100. They add a bit of Philippians 3... more than we ask or imagine. but at the end of the day God's call is to be faithful... not famous!